Saturday, October 27, 2018

Another year and counting

As I recently came upon the eve of another birthday, I had the honor of doing a “state of the heart, mind and soul” presentation at the Department of Education called “Phil-Law-sophy 2.0.” It was a journey through everyday life and the law, by way of the mixing and mashing prism of my Paterson childhood, the law, education, public service, the endless pursuit of justice, rock, jazz, blues, and classical music, technology, research, art, literature, baseball, football, basketball, current events, and history (with a focus on the early America, the Civil War, World War I, and the Holocaust), while looking towards the future. It was sprinkled lightly with humor and rhythmically with music, and it was a good way to take stock and share, as I welcome a new year.  

I got some useful feedback on the presentation and thought about updating it and making it a yearly occurrence, taking stock of where i have been and where I want to go, facing the past and future with an accounting of sorts--which we owe ourselves and our colleagues.  It is good for the soul, if not for the heart, mind, and body.

No comments: