Sunday, February 24, 2019

The Green Green Grass of Promise

As the first games of spring training were played on Friday and Saturday on lush green fields, spring poked its early head out a little on a short exploratory mission, and the full reawakening from winter cannot be far behind. Those green fields were so impressive to me as a child when I attended my first few Major League games. Growing up In a black and white world of two-dimensional, binary TVs and newspaper articles, the vast uninterrupted expanses of green outfields always beckoned to me and stirred in me an excitement of great possibilities. Even though ace pitchers like the great competitor, Max Scherzer, are being held to a 30 or so pitch limit in these early spring games, you could sense how much he wants to break out and move ahead to full competition, and all the promise that might hold. Out of icy, winter mix days of February, hope and promise lie ahead.

No comments: